Why and How Women Should Teach, Write, and Podcast for the Church

This article was first published in French at TPSG.

On November 16, 2023, I gave a workshop at The Gospel Coalition’s National Conference on How Can Women Teach, Write, and Podcast for the Church? In that talk, I shared the following reasons, as well as some tips for those interested in developing a writing, podcast, or teaching ministry.

1. Perspective

Women should teach, write, and podcast because the Church of Jesus Christ around the globe has much to gain from hearing from gifted women through these platforms. After all, we are over half the Church! And while we are not a monolith, women do wear a different set of lenses through which we view the world and the Scripture. And we bring a different perspective to theology and the Christian life, one that not only other women but also our brothers would benefit from hearing. I should mention as a side note that the our statistics indicate that 1/3 of the listeners of our podcast Chrétienne are men. And I get the impression that my articles are also of interest to my brothers as well as my sisters.

Let me give you an example of how we as women can bring a much-needed perspective to our brothers. Last year, my partner-in-crime AurĂ©lie and I did a two-part series on our podcast on what the Bible had to say about menstruation. Sound risky? I thought so, too! But I believed it was worth discussing! Well, fast-forward several months: I recently returned from a ministry trip to France and Switzerland. And while I was there, I met a brother who is an avid follower of our podcast. He’s listened to every episode! And do you want to know which were his favourite ones? The ones we did on menstruation! He said they helped him to see not only how Scripture speaks to these practical matters, but also how to better understand and love his wife. What a privilege to encourage and bless my brothers in Christ in this way. And think of this: What’s the likelihood of a TPSG podcast hosted by men addressing such a topic? Slim to none, I’m guessing.

2. Platform

Another reason why I believe women should be writing and podcasting is that while teaching opportunities in the local church are sometimes limited, you have access to countless women (and men) through online platforms. The advent of the World Wide Web has led to a democratization in the decimation of information. And that has allowed for a lot of garbage to get out there, both from a theologian’s and a writer’s standpoint. But it also has allowed us to discover some great Bible teachers and writers that we never would have known about if it weren’t for the Internet. It also means that if you produce good content and it resonates with people, you’ll be able to edify the church of Christ well outside the four walls of the congregation you attend. 

To be clear, I’m not suggesting we abandon our local churches. They should be our home, or family, our community of faith and the primary place where we live out the “one anothers” of the Christian life. That being said, through writing and podcasting we can serve the broader Christian church as well. These two don’t have to be at odds with one another. And if you are a gifted evangelist or apologist, you’re far more likely to find your audience in the marketplace than in the four walls of your church. 

Spiritual Principles

To those who would like to develop an online ministry I offer the following spiritual principles. 

(1) Seek counsel

Include your pastors, mentors, and trusted friends on your journey. Ask them to hold you accountable. Even better, have them proofread your first articles or lessons before you put them out there for public consumption. Especially early on. Every single one of you will not necessarily want to write and podcast on theology. And that’s fine! But if you do, there’s wisdom in running things by a friend with a good theological mind who can catch any errors you may not see. I’ve often thought that contemporary Christian music would be so much more theologically sound if some of those dear people had a pastor checking their lyrics before they put them to song for the Christian masses! Let’s make sure we put the best quality content out there. 

(2) Don't be afraid to make mistakes

Any long-time preacher, Bible teacher or author will tell you that their first articles, books, or messages were flawed, to say the least. They might have even changed theological positions over time. We’re not static creatures, after all, but rather dynamic ones. It’s only natural that our convictions evolve as we grow. Especially when it comes to secondary issues. A professor in seminary once told us, “Date secondary doctrines. Marry the primary ones.” I couldn’t agree more. The Bible contains important teachings concerning salvation, which are presented so clearly in Scripture that both the educated and the less educated can grasp their meaning adequately. 

The reason I mention this is that in the context of teaching, writing, and podcasting, I myself have taught things I no longer agree with. And that’s OK. Because I didn’t teach any heresy. But in regard to a secondary matter, I studied something anew and my convictions evolved as I came to a better understanding of Scripture. And I think it’s important for you to feel that freedom, too. Because if you feel like you have to have all the answers now, and that everything you put out there has to be perfect, then you’ll never take the plunge.

The Biblical character who inspires me the most on this topic is Apollos. I wrote an article on this very subject, which you will find here

(3) Be grounded in the local church

The local church should be the home base for your ministry. If you aren’t serving in some capacity there, get involved. If they don’t have teaching or writing opportunities for you there, that’s okay. Serve where you can. But love and invest in the lives of real, in-the-flesh people. Because it’s the relationships that you build with the people who know you and walk with you through the good, the bad, and the ugly that will ground you as you venture into the virtual world. Faithful, real-life friends will give you honest feedback and will call you out if your public persona starts looking like a completely different person than the unfiltered you that they see in person. 

(4) Bring others along! 

“L’union fait la force!”- i.e. there's strength in numbers. I wouldn’t have gotten far the past few years without the support of AurĂ©lie at TPSG and Debbie, Valerie, and Karine at SOLA. They are good at stuff I suck at and compensate for so many of my weaknesses! 

Not only that, as the Lord opens doors of ministry for us, we can open doors for those following down a similar path as us. One big reason I love teaching, podcasting, and writing is that I get to highlight the work of other amazing women. Many are personal friends of mine who have experienced profound suffering and have gained tremendous wisdom through their trials. I want as many people as possible to learn from them. That’s what’s so great about podcasting in particular. I’ve interviewed several of my friends on ChrĂ©tienne. They have shared testimonies ranging from how to raise a child on the autism spectrum to how to endure the loss of a spouse, and from how to battle depression to how to minister to the homeless.

(5) Seek God’s Glory

When my daughter Isabella was in 4th grade, she told us that several her classmates’ dream job was to become a YouTube star. Nowadays, with the explosion of Tik Tok and other such platforms, so many people want to make it big as influencers. It could be easy to get caught up in numbers, in views, in shares. 

My family and I love the movie “Nacho Libre” with Jack Black. It’s about a Catholic brother who cares for orphans by day and is a luchador, or wrestler by night. In one scene, after being defeated in yet another wrestling match, he turns in frustration to his partner Esqueleto, “Don't you want a little taste of the glory? See what it tastes like?”

We quote this line all the time in my family! Because we all have to fight that temptation. And this can be tough because we will always have mixed motives. But we should make it a regular practice to prayerfully examine our hearts and submit our hopes and plans to the Lord.

Practical Suggestions

Now, allow me to offer you some very practical ones:

(1) Write Daily


I’ve been keeping a journal since I was 10 years old. No joke, somewhere in a box in our basement is the Hello Kitty diary I began writing in when I was in the 6th grade! I didn’t realize it at the time, but that habit of writing my thoughts, my dreams, and my aspirations helped shape me into the writer I am today. It’s never too late to start. 

(2) Read Daily

They say that the best writers are the best readers. And I know many of us are super busy and that it’s hard to find time to read. And maybe some of us think that unless it’s a theological tome, we shouldn’t waste time reading it. At least, that’s what I have often felt. But you don’t have to choose John Calvin’s Institutes as the first book you read. It can be something short and accessible. Select something that will capture your imagination. Even if I read for only 20 minutes a day, right before bed or after lunch, I will have read many more books in a year than if I scrolled mindlessly on Facebook (which I am often guilty of doing as well, so no shame there!). 

(3) Read Out Loud

I love reading to my daughters. I believe reading out loud activates different parts of our brain and our imagination than reading in our heads, and when we share that with others, especially our children, they benefit from the experience as we invest in our relationship with them. And, honestly, I also believe it can help us become more articulate speakers, as we learn to pronounce and enunciate words that we don’t commonly draw from in our own active lexicon. Plus, it can also help us develop greater inflection as public speakers. After all, in the same way that kids like us to read them stories in a dynamic tone, our hearers will also want us to teach them in a way that engages them.


(4) Start or Join a Writing Group

Full disclosure: I never was part of a writing group. I wasn’t aware that such groups existed until a few years ago. But after hearing testimonies from women who have been a part of one, I’m sold. I wish I’d had access to one early on in my writing journey. Although I can’t say more due to lack of personal experience, I do suggest exploring this option in order to sharpen your skills as a writer. 

(5) Fill the Gaps

When we relocated to Quebec, I found a huge gap in the literature and decided to fill it by providing sound Bible teaching via YouTube. For some, that could mean doing research to discover the terrain. Examine where the needs may be greatest and consider how you can help meet those needs while employing the gifts God’s given you.

(6) Write Collaboratively

Partner with some friends who share similar passions and start a collective blog. I'm convinced that working with a team of like-minded bloggers will usually result in a higher quality product than going it alone. And a team of writers can ensure that you produce content on a regular basis. Plus, if you gather a group of friends and launch a collective blog, your total number of readers will include people from all of your spheres of influence and not just one person's. Your group blog could even be the natural evolution of your writing group, if you choose to go that route. 

(7) Expect Writers’ Block

Writing requires hard work. Heavy lifting. It’s like a muscle. You can’t expect to get ripped overnight. So, give yourself grace. Write even when you don’t feel like it. And when you have nothing to say, give yourself a break. Ruminate. Rest. Read. Repeat. But don’t give up. 
(If you'd like to find women who share a passion for the Word of God and for passing it on to others, please join our Facebook group Women Bible Expositors and start a discussion!). 

Comments