From the Archives: 17 Years Ago Today
(Thanks, Facebook Memories!)
Spring is Coming!

Part of my daily routine involves checking my Facebook memories. This allows me to take a walk down memory lane and thank the Lord for his faithfulness over the various turns our lives have taken since I joined social media roughly 18 years ago. I couldn't help but republish the following article for two reasons:

1. When we were newlyweds living near Quebec City, where Dan was learning French in preparation for service in Senegal, I never would have imagined we would one day call this province home. Little did I know the Lord had plans beyond what I could fathom.

2. Although I was once an avid dog lover, I have since transferred my affection to cats. Or rather, to our cat. Sure, I still enjoy the site of a furry golden retriever taking a walk with his owner down our street. But as far as pet ownership goes, nothing compares to the calming, low-maintenance nature of having a cat, in my humble opinion.

So, if you'd like to talk a walk with me down memory lane, enjoy the following article:

****************************************

Spring is Coming!

In Quebec, spring is marked by the custom of visiting your favorite "Cabane a sucre" or Sugar Shack, where people consume as much maple syrup as humanly possible - pouring it not only over crepes and bread, but over their beans, sausages, and even eggs!  The focus on maple syrup is due to the fact that Quebec is one of the only regions in the world where maple syrup is produced, and its cultivation begins in the spring.  Spring, of course, is a term used loosely, since there are still huge piles of snow everywhere.  But the temperature is now above freezing half the days of any given week, making it unsafe to store frozen foods on the porch.  Speaking of which...

This past winter I had the brilliant idea of taking advantage of the freezing temperatures by stocking up on beef and chicken when it was on sale.  We have a big porch, therefore I figured we had an infinite amount of storage space, and since we live in the city and not out in the country, I assumed there would be no danger of possums and other wild creatures getting into our stash, especially since we live on the second floor.  I soon learned my lesson.

Chicken was on sale for $.99 a pound, and I bought 10 packages!  My mom gave us a Foreman Rotisserie for our wedding, and it makes the best chicken in the world!  Top sirloin was on sale as well, so I bought several steaks to cook up.  Then, one day I came home to find that our stash had been pilfered!  Two steaks were missing from their styrofoam packaging, and the creature had also taken a huge bite out of a chicken's butt!  We were so disgusted at the thought of some nasty beast coming on our porch and violating our meat's privacy!  But we didn't have room in our fridge and freezer to solve our huge problem that way.  

Fortunately, thinking on our feet, we piled some snow into some plastic bins and placed all our untouched meat in these.  Our large Rubbermaid containers served us well until the weather started dipping below freezing.  So, while the Quebecois welcome spring by running out the Sugar Shacks and binging on maple syrup, this spring in Quebec at the Thornton pad meant frantically feeding ourselves and our friends with all the food on our porch before it went bad.  It wasn't too much of a problem, though, since I love cooking.

Epilogue: Shortly after the missing meat fiasco, we saw a mangy, dirty cat in our driveway with a guilty (or smug!) look on its face.  I think we discovered the culprit!  As if I couldn't have had enough contempt for cats already (I'm allergic and a total dog person), this happens.  For all you dog lovers, here's an exert from an email we received recently that we thought was pretty hilarious:


***************************************

The Dog's Diary

8:00 am - Dog food! My favourite thing!

9:30 am - A car ride! My favourite thing!

9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favourite thing!

10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favourite thing!

12:00 pm - Milk bones! My favourite thing!

1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favourite thing!

3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favourite thing!

5:00 pm - Dinner! My favourite thing!

7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favourite thing!

8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favourite thing!

11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favourite thing!



Our sweet Aslan as a kitten falling asleep on me

The Cat's Diary

Day 983 of my captivity.

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape.  In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities.  However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am.

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event.  However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what this  means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs. I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches.

The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded.  The bird must be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors  have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now.....


Comments