The Journey of a Gypsy


Over the past couple of weeks, I’ve wondered if it’s a sign of hubris on my part to think that I have lived a life interesting enough for anyone but my mom to bother reading about.  After all, the term “memoire” usually brings to mind a retired general, politician, or other older, wiser, more important person than me.  At least it does in my mind.  So, what benefit is there to my signing up November 1 for "National Novel Writing Month”?  I don’t have the imagination to actually write a completely fictitious novel, so I decided to write an autobiographical piece, technically a novel by my changing some facts (to protect the innocent and the guilty!).   I’ve asked myself more than once why I’m bothering, as I struggle to keep up my word count to make the required 50,000 by midnight on November 30.  (I’m pretty much on target so far, give or take a couple thousand words).   

The answer to my question came recently from my husband, my greatest support and encouragement, who has been behind me from day one in this endeavor.  Not only is he my biggest “victim,” being forced to listen to over three decades of my stories, but he’s also my biggest fan.  And he’s helped me see that there’s value in what I’m doing.  The following perspective he shared really helped me.

Have you ever wished you could sit down and have a chat with the great-grandmother you never met but heard so much about?  Wouldn’t you like to know more about her life, her childhood, and the factors that contributed to making her the extraordinary woman you’re told she was?  My husband Dan has often longed to know more about his maternal great-grandfather, a Toronto journalist, who took his mom with him on “dates” in the city.  Sadly, to my knowledge, no written record remains of his life, so Dan will never know much more than what’s contained in his mom’s vague childhood recollections of this loving man.  I don’t know of any of my forefathers who wrote down their story for posterity, and I doubt too many of yours did, either.

So, as ordinary as my life may be, our daughter, our grandkids, our descendents (if the Lord tarries), may one day appreciate the effort I put forth to record on “paper” what I’m entitling “The Journey of a Gypsy.”  I welcome suggestions for catchier titles, friends!

Comments

  1. i love it! i think it also logs God's faithfulness in your life. i'm going to need you to be my cheerleader when its my turn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started writing an autobiography, perhaps more to reconcile with my past than for posterity, but I love reading biographies and believe everyone has a story to share about the life God has given them. I never knew my maternal grandmother, who died of cancer when my mom was just 14. I wish I knew more about her, as it seems she was a woman of such good repute and incredible strength. I think future generations will appreciate your efforts to make a record of your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your thoughts, Amy. I wasn't thinking too much of my past as I considered writing. But I'm a "live in the now" kind of person (which is very Latino, eh? :) ). I didn't really think of posterity, either, originally. It was Dan who made me think of it. Did you ever finish yours? Maybe you can do the challenge next November like me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment