Expecting & On the Road

When I was pregnant with Isabella, we lived in Dakar, Senegal.  I had serious morning sickness the first four months, and even more serious cravings I couldn't satisfy.  I dreamt of all the goodies I would eat if I were in America.  And even though I had no choice but to supress these desires, I found comfort in the wonderful medical attention I was getting from my Senegalese ObGyn, Dr. Rokhaya Ba.  She was excellent, so patient with me and my barage of questions at each appointment.  When it came time to give birth, the delivery went smoothly at Clinique de la Madelaine, one of the best hospitals in West Africa. 

The day we brought Isabella home from the hospital
After a year and a half of trying to conceive, I found out this spring that I was expecting our second child.  My pregnancy coincided with our trip to N. America for home assignment, and I immediately began dreaming of all the yummy foods I'd be able to enjoy over the course of the following months.  Being surrounded by family, friends, and air conditioning was a plus as well, but I must admit food was foremost on my mind!

What wasn't on my mind, however, was the challenge of attaining proper prenatal care while on the road.  I'm nearly 20 weeks along, and have seen a doctor once since arriving in N. America.  I'm still trying to figure out how I am going to get the medical attention I need over the next months.  What's certain is that we're planning on having the baby in Ontario.  Hopefully, we'll find an OB willing to take me as his/her patient when we return for good in early October.  Until then, we're still trying to figure out how to monitor my health while traveling.  We'd appreciate your prayers.

Comments