Racist Tweet and the Olympics

Have you heard of Voula Papachristou, the Olympic long-jumper from Greece who was disqualified by the Hellenic Olympic Committee from participating in the games? Apparently, before her intended departure for London, she had tweeted the following racist statement: "With so many Africans in Greece, at least the West Nile mosquitos will be eating food from their own home."  Did you think their decision was harsh, or did you agree with them?
 
As I consider their decision, a few thoughts come to mind:
 
1. If we're honest, all of us will admit that we are prejudice and at one point or another have thought or uttered comments far more offensive than that which Papachristou tweeted.   
 
2. However, she didn’t merely make a racist statement to a friend in casual conversation. She broadcast her smart comment to all 10,214 of her followers on Twitter.  She’s not a mere private citizen; she’s a public figure, and as such, she has a responsibility to set an example for those who look to her as a role model or even hero, both at home and abroad.
 
3. She represents her country in the international arena, at the most diverse gathering of athletes on earth. There is no place for racism among its participants. To some, her expulsion sent a clear message to any other competitor that such offensive remarks would not be tolerated.
 
I don't know whether or not Papachristou deserved to be disqualified. Some say the punishment didn't match the crime, and that kicking her out of the Olympics was over the top. I think the greater the influence, the greater the responsibility. That doesn't mean I'm convinced she should have been expulsed from her country's Olympic team, but the Hellenic Olympic Committee would have been remiss to overlook her comment entirely. What do you think?  What would have been a more suitable punishment?

Comments

  1. Very thought provoking!! I do love to see the diversity of people coming together during the Olympic Games. When there are differences in and a lack of understanding about other cultures, etc, differences of opinion need to be carefully guarded. Of course, without the Spirit, a mere difference in opinion can be taken to a hateful, unaccepting level. It's only by God's grace that we can view each other as equals, each one made of dirt. :)

    Putting your private thoughts out there, "letting it all hang out," so to speak, is a modern epidemic with the advent of the Internet, blogs, Facebook, Twitter... Anything goes these days. Most would say, "They're just being themselves." But the truth is: Proverbs 10:19 In the multitude of words sin is not lacking, But he who restrains his lips is wise. Also, Proverbs 17:28 Even a fool, when he keeps silent, is considered wise; When he closes his lips, he is considered prudent.

    So I agree with you. We've all had our prejudiced thoughts... because cultures are so different and we just have a hard time understanding. But you need to repent of that. And not voice it, because then you're including others in your sin. And on such a broad platform, if it's Twitter and the such!

    I don't know either of the athlete should have been excluded from the Games. Perhaps a tweeted apology? Perhaps locking her in a room of West Nile mosquitoes for one day? I jest, but really I'm glad it wasn't my decision. I'm just glad that at least the Hellenic Olympic Committee decided to nip it in the bud (or nip it in the butt, as one of my friends from Ol' Virginia would say). Viva los Juegos Olimpicos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts, Cynthia. Are you missing the Olympics? I'm having major withdrawls this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thing I dislike most about racism is that people often stand by their ignorant statements. However, in this case, she did issue an apology and retraction, so I think I would have given her a second chance. Perhaps a fine would have been more appropriate for someone who said she was sorry. I tend to see the Olympic committees as doling out severe punishments because they are in a diplomatic situation with other countries (or in the case of a country like China, it's diplomacy but really saving face).

    Was it wrong for her to say it? Yes. Do I think they were justified in banning her? They know more about it than I do, and perhaps it was the best for international relations, but given that she apologized, I would have voted against it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, I know what you mean about her apology and maybe their decision being too harsh. I can see that. I don't have a strong position, but I figure they were making an example out of here and as the "founders" of the Olympics, wanted to have the highest standard possible for the world to see.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment