Operation Sheep Liberation

It was my first Tabaski in Senegal (known elsewhere in the Muslim world as Eid al-Adha).  I sat on the front steps of our home taking it all in.  I could hear the bleating of sheep throughout the neighbourhood.  Our friend Ibrahima across the street had hired a professional to come to his home and slaughter his sheep for him.  (And since he is affluent and has a big family, that meant two sheep).  They were both tied with a short rope to a light post on our side street, and were pacing nervously around said post.

Soon, the "assassin" came out with his big knife, sharpened it against the pavement, and slit the throat of one of the sheep, right in front of the other.  He then untied it and took it to the backyard in order to finish butchering it, in preparation for the upcoming meal. 

I was left alone with one frantic sheep doing circles around the light post he was tied to.  I know sheep aren't the sharpest animals on God's green earth, but this guy knew he was next, and was trying everything in his power to release himself from his captivity.  I had to resist the urge to liberate him, knowing that doing so would win me a bad reputation in my new neighbourhood.  Soon, my moment of temptation passed, as the lone sheep met his end much like the first and was taken out back to become lunch.  (Dan was spared from the spectacle, as Ibrahima had invited him to go to the mosque with him and gave him the freedom to take pictures, like the one below).

Before moving to Senegal, I had very little first hand knowledge of this festival that marks the high point of the Muslim calendar.  It commemorates Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son to the Lord (which our Muslim friends believe was Ishmael, not Isaac), as well as the Lord's provision of a substitute ram.  On this day, every household that can afford to buys new outfits for the whole family, slaughters at least one sheep, and has a big party.  For city dwellers, this usually requires a trip to their village of origin for the celebration, and for all it requires sharing some of the bounty with non-Muslim neighbours and those who are less fortunate. 
 
As is the case with Christmas in N. America, Tabaski brings out the best and worst in people.  Theft is at seeming high during the days leading up to the feast, as people are scrambling to come up with the money for this expensive celebration (I even heard of a guy who had his wheelchair stolen right from under his limp body!).  A spirit of generosity and hospitality also reigns, as many Muslim friends invite us to their homes for the party, and others send us both raw sheep meat and platters loaded with delicious prepared food (as you can imagine, I prefer the latter!).

Reminiscing about this time of year makes me miss my friends in Senegal, and also makes me wish I could be there to enjoy the party with them.  It also reminds me of their need for the Saviour, the spotless Lamb of God who was the only perfect sacrifice for our sins.  With that in mind, as you read this, please take a moment to pray for the people of Senegal.

(P.S.: Lest anyone judge this slaying of sheep as barbaric, keep in mind that the N. American meat and dairy industry treats animals far more cruelly.  We just don't see it when we buy our meat in sanitized packages at the grocery store!)

Comments

  1. Thanks, Kari! Your blog is so great that it inspires me to be a better communicator myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Angie,
    I, too, got to eat with a family on this celebration day!
    Love,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment