How to Bid Farewell to a Visitor, Senegal Style

What do you do at the end of an evening with visitors?  If you're like most people, you walk them to the door, wait while they put their shoes on (if you're Asian or in Canada!), say good-bye, and close the door once they've walked out to their car.  Before we moved to Senegal, this was our routine as well, and it's taken us some time to get used to N. American ways once again since arriving here in May.  Now that we've acculturated to life there, some customs we grew up with seem a little bit impersonal.

In Senegal, the ritual of bidding a visitor farewell carries great importance.  Here's a few lessons we've learned over the years that have helped us build bridges with nationals who come to our home:
  1. When a friend declares, "I should get going now," always insist that they stay a bit longer.  It doesn't matter if it's 11 PM and they've been there all day and you've been dying to go to bed.  The first and even second time someone expresses their wishes to leave, "Sit!  Don't go, friend!" is the only acceptable response.  Some hosts may even add, "Won't you stay the night?" as a courtesy!
  2. Once you've prevailed upon your visitor to stay a bit longer, you are free to let them take their leave.  But you can't just walk them to the door.  Unless some great impediment exists (you're dealthly ill with malaria, you're home alone with a napping baby, to name a couple), you need to walk them part of the way home (or to the bus stop or the nearest main thoroughfare to catch a taxi).  Thankfully, Senegal is very safe, so that I've been known to walk a female guest down the street at night, in the dark (street lamps are rare) with no fear of thieves or thugs.  It's wonderful!
  3. Wait for your guest to excuse you before heading home.  The onus is on him to tell you "You can stop here."  Until he does, keep walking, baby!  Once, Dan walked one of his students, David, all the way home because he didn't hear this phrase.  When I later talked to David, he explained, "I didn't want to cut him off or offend him, since we were in the middle of a conversation!"
Here, Dan is "gunge"-ing our dear friend, Pastor Alainde. 
Isabella loves tagging along, and making new friends along the way,
especially if they have a tricycle for her to hop on for a quick ride!
The entire ritual I just described is called "gunge" (pronounced GOON-gay).  Obviously, the fact that they have a special term for it demonstrates how central it is to the culture.  A Senegalese friend eager to learn English once asked me, "How do you say 'gunge' in English?"  I had to laugh!  "We don't have that term, because we don't 'gunge' our guests."  He could hardly believe it!  Over the years, we've learned to appreciate the warmth and hospitality of our host culture, and although we don't criticize N. American culture for doing things differently, we certainly do miss some of these traditions that have become second nature to us.
 

Comments

  1. Hey Angie...I've actually noticed that some people in Canada do this...when we leave their house they will follow us out to the car...etc...I always make sure that I stand at the door and wave when people leave our place it seems so rude to just let them out and to not watch them drive away

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that. We usually will walk people to their cars because visitor parking is a bit away (if it's just me and the kids, I sometimes am unable). But if it's a neighbor, sometimes I do wonder if I should say I have to go or not, and often I just let that person decide when it's time to go. I'm glad there is an expected custom of hospitality there, and that's it's safe for you. I think part of the lack of neighborly customs here is a fear for safety. We walk people, especially women, to their cars primarily for safety and secondarily for hospitality. If it's me alone, I've only once ever walked someone down to their car, while holding a child in my arms, but would probably not do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Esther, I haven't seen that much. I'm not offended or anything, but be it in the US or Canada, I've tended to see people say bye at the door. As for me, I must confess that I have no interest in going outside in the cold to walk people to their cars. So, I am definitely guilty of not gunge-ing our guests, either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, that's cool that you do that. Although, I'm surprised it's dangerous for you to do so alone. How ironic, eh, that it's safer in Senegal than in the US. People who think we must be in harms way all the time would be surprised by how tranquil life is there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm afraid i am a HORRIBLE neighbor and friend! i give a hug, say goodbye, and as soon as the door is closed i'm putting dishes away, vacuuming floors, and picking up toys. i have much to learn about relaxing and appreciating the PERSON rather than the short event of being together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah, don't be silly! I wasn't hating on N. American culture. I have no intention of going out to visitors' cars in this weather! I'm the most American of all this time of year. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment