Big Dreams

(This article was published in French at TPSG).

Dream.  What does this word evoke in your mind?  Is it a vague recollection of a story played out in your sleep?  Or perhaps it’s a vivid vision of a recurring nightmare you had as a child.  These both give us literal definitions of the word.  In non-Western cultures, people often seek to ascribe meaning to their dreams, believing that the supernatural is speaking to them through these slumbering encounters.  Whether they are pleasant or petrifying, dreams mean little to us in the West, in that we attribute them to anything from a stressful situation the day before to an unfortunate case of indigestion brought on by an excess of pepperoni pizza.

The term “dream” can also refer to our hopes for the future.  While hanging out in UCLA ‘s Ackerman Union during my days as a student there, I mentioned in passing to a friend that I had just seen Crystal Lewis in concert.  “That’s my dream!” she declared wistfully.  “Really?  But it’s not that big a deal,” I replied.  To which she countered with a smile, “I know, but I like having small dreams.  That way I’m happy when they come true.”


I respect that.  I can see how looking forward to the more frequent realization of simple pleasures must give my friend joy.  I love how God made us all so differently.  I relish in the daily manifestations of God’s generosity toward me, but when it comes to dreaming, the motto for my own life is “Go big or go home!”  (This is also my slogan when it comes to Chinese buffets!).

My dreams are so big that I am afraid to say them out loud or write them down. I'm afraid to share my heart with someone and have them laugh at me or judge me. The fear of man can be paralyzing. But when I think of the parable of the talents in Matthew 25:14-30, I remember that it is to God that I will give an account for the way I have used the talents that He has entrusted to me. I want to carefully invest what the Lord has given me, and not bury it in the ground.

Don't we all wish to hear one day, "Well don, good and faithful servant; you have been faithful in little things, I will entrust you with much; enter into the joy of your master"? This is the motivation behind every holy dream!

Paul is a model for us in terms of great ambitions. In his former life he was 100% committed to persecuting the followers of Jesus (Phil 3:5-6). But from the moment he met the Lord on the road to Damascus, his bloodthirsty mission changed. His crusade against Christians was transformed into an untiring passion for the glory of Christ, for the proclamation of the Gospel among the nations in general, and for extending his work to the least reached:

"I make it my ambition to preach the gospel, not where Christ has already been named, lest I build on someone else's foundation." (Rom 15:20)

Are we to judge Paul for his this holy ambition? On the contrary, we praise God for it, as it is because of these aspirations that the Gospel came to our shores.

I think of Jim and Elizabeth Elliot. After her husband Jim gave his life to bring the Gospel to the Auca Indians of Ecuador, Elizabeth returned with their daughter to finish the work her husband had begun, even leading some of his murderers to faith. Jim is known to have said, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."

I think of Amy Carmichael, who served in India for 55 years without leave. She dedicated her life to saving girls from bondage as prostitutes in Hindu temples. She once said, "It is a safe thing to trust God to fulfill the desires which he creates."

I think of William Carey, the father of modern mission, who translated the Bible into six languages and parts of the Scriptures into 29 other languages of India. Imagine how many zealous missionaries were propelled to the ends of the earth by those famous words: "Attempt great things for God. Expect great things from God."

These servants of God had huge dreams, which they got enormous pushback for. Yet, where would the cause of Christ among the nations be without men and women like them? Without those who followed their faith-filled dreams in dependence on the Spirit?

Such brothers and sisters give me reason to believe that it is good to dream big. If the Lord is in those dreams, they will come true. If it is a breathtaking vision of the glory of God that drives us, let us run together towards the unfolding of Christ's Kingdom.

Comments