Passing on the Baton of God's Word

I've always thought of myself as a big kid.  Perhaps it's because I married a bit later, so that my little one is still in kindergarten.  Running after my cuties definitely keeps me active.  But beyond that, my boisterous, gregarious, crazy personality contributes to my perception of myself as someone who has remained young, despite the passing of time.  I wear my hair in pigtails to match my girls when we go out, and I love sporting my Tinkerbell t-shirt to go with their princess tops.  Yet despite my girlish quirks, I'm realizing more and more the responsibility I have as an older woman.  This hit me in particular last night while teaching a Bible study at new believer's home.

Rose* is a new mom from Côte d'Ivoire, Africa in her early twenties.  We sat across from one another on her white sectional, the smells of hot pepper wafting in the air.  Delving into the Gospel according to John, I asked her questions and pointed her toward the verses where the answers could be found.  My heart was filled with joy to see her search for and discover the truths of God for herself.  As our time together drew to a close, she inquired about my teaching notes.  "Would you like to keep them?" I asked.  "Of course!" was her eager response.  I wanted to leap across the sofa and squeeze her!  What a gift to be in her company and watch her grow.

Later on, as I reflected on the evening, I thought of the men and women who had invested in me when I was Rose's age.  Like a screen saver of old pictures that flips from one image to the next, I saw in my mind's eye the face of Doug Croucher, the youth pastor who led me to the Lord in high school; of Dr. and Mrs. Craigen, the elder and his wife from my church at university who counseled me to pursue seminary studies and missions; of Dr. Sauer, the professor who filled in for my dad the weekend Dan flew to Chicago to meet me for the first time, grilling him mercilessly with questions :P (we met online - read our story here).    I always thought of these and a myriad of other mentors as givers, who poured into me while receiving little in return.  After all, what did I have to offer them?

Now that I'm in their position, I realize that my seeking to glean from their life experience and godly wisdom was a gift to them.  It allowed them to exercise their spiritual gifts; it invigorated their own walks with the Lord as they sought answers to my tough questions; and it filled them with joy to be used of the Lord to pass on to the next generation that which the Lord had entrusted to them.

Christ's command to make disciples was his last and greatest mandate (Matthew 28:18-20).  He didn't intend for it to be onerous.  Anyone who has engaged in this glorious endeavor can attest to how rewarding it is to watch men and women, boys and girls, blossom as they grow in the knowledge of God's word and love of the Saviour.  So, if you haven't yet embraced Christ invitation to make disciples, I'd invite you to join me.  You don't have to have all the answers.  You don't even have to be "old."  You simply need to find someone who knows less than you do and teach them what you've learned about living out God's love in this world.  Take that baton of God's Word and pass it on.  I promise you, you won't regret it!

(Name has been changed)

Comments