4 Reasons the Ascension is Essential (The Apostles' Creed 7/13)

This article was first published in French at TPSG.

Do you ever ask yourself the question, “What is Jesus doing right now?” Most believers can articulate what Jesus did for us at the cross, and many can also express what he will do in his second coming. But many might have trouble answering the question concerning Christ’s present ministry in heaven. 


In my last article on the Creed, I mentioned that often we make much more of Christmas than we do of Easter. Well, I think we would all agree that it's not uncommon to entirely overlook the Ascension. In fact, one theologian has called it "The forgotten act of God." And yet, it's so essential to our faith that, I would argue, Christianity stands or falls on this declaration: He ascended to heaven, where he sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty.


cloudy sky during daytime

4 Reasons the Ascension is Essential

1. It furnishes further proof that the Father has accepted Christ's sacrifice. 

Hebrews 10:11-14 says,


11 And every priest stands daily at his service, offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. 12 But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God,13 waiting from that time until his enemies should be made a footstool for his feet. 14 For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified.

Jesus Sat Down

In the Pentateuch, we find elaborate descriptions of the furniture and ornaments required for temple sacrifices, from the altar for burnt offering to the altar of incense to the table of showbread. But the one piece of furniture that is nowhere to be found in the temple is a chair! This was to express that a priest's work of offering sacrifices for the people was continuous (v. 11), precisely because their sin was continuous. And the animal sacrifices the priests offered could not take sin away (v. 11). They merely covered sin until the perfect sacrifice came. So, when Christ had offered himself as that perfect sacrifice, once and for all, he fulfilled the requirements of the law once and for all. And that is the reason Jesus was finally able to sit down when no human priest had been able to. 


As one scholar put it: 

Hence, a chair is provided for Him since the priestly work need never again be repeated. This chair is nothing less than the very throne of God (Heb. 8:1; 1:3; 10:12).

At the Right Hand of God

The right hand is a place of honour and pre-eminence. It's so significant that the writer of Hebrews echoes these words from Psalm 110, the most frequently quoted Psalm in the New Testament:


The Lord says to my Lord:   “Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies your footstool.”


In fact, "the right hand of God" is mentioned throughout the Scripture as the place of honour reserved for the Son: 1 Pt 3:22, Ac 2:33, 5:31, 7:55-56, Lk 22:69, Ro 8:1, 34, Ep 1:20, Co 3:1, He 1:3, 13, among others.

Lessons from a Children’s Catechism

Over the past few years, my husband and I have been teaching our girls theology through the use of a catechism for children. 


One of the questions this children's catechism asks is:

Q: What does Christ do for his people? 


And the answer is:

A: He does the work of a prophet, a priest, and a king.


This is especially true regarding his present ministry for his people, made possible through his Ascension. We see these three aspects of his present ministry in the following points:

2. It was a condition for the sending of the Holy Spirit. 

No Ascension, no Pentecost. No Pentecost, no Church! The prophetic work of Jesus that began in his earthly ministry continued through his Apostles as the Spirit empowered them for the mission God called them to. Jesus said in John 16:7:


Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you.


So, we could say that the Ascension ensures the prophetic work of Christ through his Church, teaching us and leading us in the will of God. This began with the apostles (and prophets) and continues through us to this day as we seek his wisdom to take his message to the ends of the earth.

3. It ensures his priestly role of intercession for his people. 

Hebrews 9:24 says,


For Christ has entered, not into holy places made with hands, which are copies of the true things, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God on our behalf.


And Hebrews 7:25 says, 


Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them.


As a matter of fact, Hebrews is a goldmine of theological insights to the present role of our ascended Lord. 

4. It ensures his role as Lord and King

I've heard the Ascension called "The Triumphal Entry into the Heavenly Jerusalem." Quoting from Psalm 110 on the day of Pentecost, Peter proclaimed these words in Acts 2:34-35:

34 For David did not ascend into the heavens, but he himself says, “‘The Lord said to my Lord, “Sit at my right hand, 35 until I make your enemies your footstool.”’ 36 Let all the house of Israel therefore know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified.”

In the Ascension, we witness Christ's enthronement. Having accomplished the mission for which the Father had sent him, in heaven Christ receives a status of glory and honour that is even greater than that which he enjoyed before his incarnation. We see this in Philippians 2:5-11.

Implications

The best way to understand the implications for us of Christ’s Ascension is to return to the children's catechism I mentioned earlier. We already saw the question "What does Christ do for his people?" The answer is "He does the work of a prophet, a priest and a king." The next three questions of the catechism further develop this idea. 

1. Christ meets me in my ignorance

Q: Why do you need Christ as a prophet?

A: Because I am ignorant (lacking knowledge).


I identify with that statement. This specific catechism may be designed for children, but its truths are timeless and apply to us all. So, if you've ever struggled with knowing God's will, if you've felt like you lacked wisdom, know that Jesus' Ascension ensures that by His Spirit we can walk with Christ and know his will. What wonderful news!

2. Christ meets me in my guilt.

Q: Why do you need Christ as a priest?

A. Because I am guilty.


If being reminded of your guilt doesn't seem encouraging, let me say that we can only appreciate the Good News when we've understood the bad news of our sin and guilt. 


Martin Luther once said:


"If you see yourself as a "little sinner" you will inevitably see Jesus as a "little savior".


And on another occasion,


"When Satan tells me I am a sinner he comforts me immeasurably, since Christ died for sinners." 


What wonderful encouragement! Our great guilt points us to a great redeemer, who, right now, is interceding before the Father on our behalf (He 7:25 and Ro 8:34) – as is the Spirit, according to Ro 8:26-27. So, if you ever feel like you ought to pray, but don't feel like it, remember that night and day, there's a prayer meeting already going on in heaven on your behalf among the members of the Trinity. They'll be more than glad to let you join in!

3. Christ meets us in our weakness and helplessness.

Q. Why do you need Christ as a king?

A. Because I am weak and helpless.


I don't know about you, but I get tired of trying to be the perfect wife, mother, and disciple of Jesus Christ. I get tired of the mess I make when I try to rule my life. What peace comes from remembering that Christ is King, and I am not. I don't have to carry the burden of making sure my kids come to faith or my ministry succeeds. That's his job. Because I am weak, but the good news is that his power is made perfect in weakness (2 Co 12:9).


Comments