Bodily Exercise Profiteth Little

This article was first published in French at TPSG.

Two millennia ago, the Apostle Paul penned the following words:

For the training of the body has limited benefit, but godliness is beneficial in every way, since it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. (1 Ti 4:8)

Some may argue from this verse that exercise is pointless and even worldly. I would argue, however, that Paul said that bodily training had “limited benefits,” and not that it had no benefits whatsoever. If you consider with me the benefits of exercise in the light of Scripture, my hope is that you will see the wisdom in incorporating physical exercise into your habits of faith. 

Godly Women in a Body-Obsessed Culture

We live in a body-obsessed culture. The ideal woman is skinny, yet strong. She needs to lift weights to maintain good muscle tone, yet not be so muscular that she looks unfeminine. Within our Christian context, many of us women feel pulled in opposite directions. On the one hand, we are supposed to be thin and beautiful in order to both attract and remain attractive to a husband. I've even heard of pastors shaming women from the pulpit for gaining weight. 

That's one extreme within contemporary evangelicalism. The other is the notion that exercising is an unspiritual waste of time, and that we should be occupying ourselves with the work of the kingdom. This notion, however, creates a division between body and soul, between the spiritual/religious life and the secular/physical life. 

Do Everything for the Glory of God

Yet, while living in this world, we have no choice but to live in the bodies the Lord has given us. What is essential is that we do everything, including exercise, for the glory of God (1 Co 10:31). 

Eric Liddell, Christian Olympic runner who inspired the film, “Chariots of Fire,” was famed for having said: “When I run, I feel God’s pleasure.” He didn’t run for fame or personal glory, like many of his fellow competitors. He ran for the glory of God! Yet it’s safe to say that Lidell must have recognized the many benefits of physical exercise.

Physical Benefits of Exercise

It helps us make more healthy food choices.

When I exercise regularly, I am more motivated to make better choices in regard to nutrition, which is important since, what we eat has an even greater impact than exercise does on overall health. 

It gives us energy.

Exercise causes our bodies to produce "good" hormones such as endorphins, which give us energy and make us feel good. 

It can help us sleep better.

This is true in both adults and children. On sedentary days, it’s not uncommon for both my children and me to have a harder time falling asleep. And conversely, on active days, we tend to fall asleep more easily and sleep more soundly.

It improves cognitive function

As we age, memory tends to decline. That’s no secret. Exercise can affect the hippocampus, the part of the brain that acts on memory, and helps improve its function, allowing us to better retain new information.

It can extend our lifespan.

Our lives are in God’s hands, and no one can control the day of their death any more than they can control the day of their birth. But, generally speaking, people who exercise and eat well tend to live longer than those who smoke, drink heavily, eat poorly, and are sedentary. 

Emotional Benefits of Exercise

It reduces stress.

Our body produces some "bad" hormones like cortisol and adrenaline. Exercise helps reduce these. 

It alleviates anxiety.

Not only does exercise produce endorphins, but it also gets our minds off of our worries. Sometimes, going for a walk, for a run, throwing some punches, or playing a team sport is exactly what we need. 

It can strengthen our interpersonal relationships.

Team sports or regular walks or runs with friends are excellent ways to develop more meaningful friendships.

Spiritual benefits of exercise 

It allows us to enjoy and praise God for his beautiful creation.

Getting out in nature for a walk or run enriches our appreciation of our awesome Creator and the work of his hands. 

It helps us be disciplined in other areas of our lives.

When I maintain a healthy exercise routine, I find that it’s easier for me to be disciplined in prayer, Bible reading, and in other areas of life. Everything is connected.

It teaches us to do hard things.

Working out may not be the hardest part of my day, but it’s not the most fun part, either. I have to discipline myself to push past the pain and continue even when my body is telling me to quit. This kind of grit is something that has served me well. Paul illustrates this well in 1 Corinthians 9:27, 

But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.

It helps us set an example for our children.

I don’t want my daughters to grow up with an unhealthy obsession with their bodies. But I also don’t want them to grow up to be lazy and sedentary. I avoid any disparaging remarks about my body in general, and especially around my girls. And I always explain my reasons for exercising in terms of wanting to stay healthy and strong so I can be a good servant of God in my respective roles as disciple-maker, wife, and mother. 

It helps us be strong for the work God has called us to.

While I was training for missionary service, I had no idea where I would end up. I was prepared to serve in a remote village in Africa with minimal creature comforts. One of my inspirations was Jim Elliot. In the biography of their life, Elisabeth Elliot recounted Jim’s motivation for competing in Wheaton College’s wrestling team:

I wrestle solely for the strength and coordination of muscle tone that the body receives while working out, with the ultimate end that of presenting a more useful body as a living sacrifice (Ro 12:1). (p. 16, Through Gates of Splendor)


Comments